Thursday 6 October 2011

Vogue Knitting Live

While we were in Los Angeles, Vogue Knitting Live just happened to be on at the Hyatt Regency Century City. I swear I didn't plan it that way. Honest!




Knitted glass! Amazing :-)




We met up with a friend Ruth (RockandPurl) who had flown over from the UK specifically for the event and we delivered a gorgeous Pan Am bag for her from Washington DC. Ruth also showed me how to do the kitchener stitch so I was able to finish off the socks that I had been knitting for Scott. Thank you very much for showing me this and the awesome cheat sheet :-).

We had a thoroughly enjoyable time wandering around the marketplace. Both Scott and I were surprised at the amount of non-wool based yarn that was available. Some of the recycled materials used in the yarns looked fantastic. There was wool, nylon, soy fibre, bamboo, Tencel, and cotton.

The Fickle Knitter's stall

We follow the Fickle Knitter on Twitter and it was lovely to meet her. We had a chat, and I snaffled her last skein of yarn in a beautiful grey with purple accents. The yarn was straight Tencel, which I hadn't seen in the UK before. I also bought a shawl pattern from her. I'm determined to knit a shawl.

My next purchase was a bag from Namaste.A girl can never have too many handbags, right? And this one was very useful for the travel home, and I have not stopped using it yet. And it's red! I love red. I got this bag: click here for picture!

I also chatted with Anna Hrachovec from MochiMochiland who writes knitting patterns for tiny, tiny things! I'd seen her on Twitter and some of her work before. She had a knitted display with her, which was amazing. She has talent. I bought one of her books while I was chatting to her as I really want to knit some of her miniature items. They look like a lot of fun to knit, and most of them you can do in sock yarn, which I have a lot of.

From Vogue Knitting Live we went straight to LAX to catch our flight home. We had done some repacking in the hotel lobby to fit in all of our purchases. We must have looked as though we had bought half the marketplace trying to repack the 4 bags that we had for the flight back to Brisbane.

No comments:

Post a Comment